An Angel in the Dark Night
- Jos, I had a very shocking news last night, do you want to hear it?

- Of course

- You know, the Old Man who works at the reception every night, he died last night after he came back home.

That's how my roomate told me the sad truth. All alone in this strange night, I saw him clearly again.

Mounir had worked in this hotel for more than 50 years.

He welcame me rudely at 3 in the morning one week ago. My room was only available from noon the following day.
I was doomed to spend the rest of the night sat in the living room. But half an hour later, I heard his sweet and warm voice inviting me to a nice room in the backyard of the hotel where I fell asleep like a child.

The day before he passed away, I had shared a couple of hours in his compagny. A warm and wonderful evening, flavoured with his turkish coffee and the smell of his cigarette.

His smile, his face, his sweet voice, his protective regards, his humility are still in the mind of everyone.
Our group, which was formed of more than 15 nationalities, respected him and loved him.

He's definitely the king of a man that you meet without even saying a word, but from the sound of silence, the dialog exists and the truth arises.
Mounir reflects the grace of a generous Lebanon.
Meeting him was a blessing.

"Et quand la mort lui fit signe,
De labourer son dernier champs,
Il creusa lui-meme sa tombe,
En faisant vite, en se cachant,
Et s'y etendit sans rien dire
Pour ne pas deranger les gens
En faisant vite, en se cachant."
G. Brassens

Come with us to visit Lebanon :
International Beirut Tango Performance
International Beirut Social Tango
From Balbek to Anjar
Saida
Byblos
Beiteddine to Cedars forest
BEIRUT

Commentaires

  1. Dear Jos, I'm so happy for your kind words about Mounir! I had the exact same impression of him, and was very fond of him too. Every night when I came back to the hotel, we would share a cigarette and maybe some coffee, and talk, before I went to my room. It was really a shock to hear that he had died. Thank you for remembering him! Dagmar

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Articles les plus consultés